Planned Thunderbird 3.3 Features

Tanstaafl tanstaafl at libertytrek.org
Wed Feb 9 15:38:56 UTC 2011

Most of this sounds great, and I don't know if you were interested in
feedback here, but...

On 2011-02-09 10:14 AM, Mark Banner wrote:
>     * Search Integration
>           o This is integrating search engines into Thunderbird,
>             allowing searches from Thunderbird's UI. Experimental add-on
>             coming soon.

Assuming you're talking about being able to select/highlight text and
perform a web search, I'd really like to see TB able to automatically
make use of any Search Engines that are installed for Firefox (if it is
installed)...

I have no interest though in 'Thunderbrowse' like functionality though -
if I want to browse the web, I use my browser (Firefox)...

>     * Sync
>           o We've been thinking about incorporating sync (aka Firefox
>             Sync) into Thunderbird. We'll be looking at this via an
>             add-on first, so it may not get incorporated straight away.

What kind of syncing? I'd love to be able to sync Addons, settings, etc,
as well as Address Books... but I'd also prefer NOT to be forced to use
Weave, so would really like to see some kind of syncing over standard
FTP/SFTP or similar... I just don't like the idea of my stuff being
hosted on a 3rd party server...