Max versions of TB addons in AMO (affecting binary addons)

Kent James kent at caspia.com
Sat Dec 31 17:18:10 UTC 2011

At the current time, the allowed versions in AMO for Thunderbird are
(including only recent versions):

|9.0a1, 9.0a2, 9.0, 9.*, 10.0a1, 10.0a2, 10.0, 10.*, 11.0a1, 11.0a2,
11.*, 12.0a1

|Missing from that list is 11.0 (but previously 9.0 and 10.0 existed),
which unfortunately is the revision that the script for my binary addon
New Account Types uses in generating its install.rdf for the revision
that supports 9, 10, and 11.

Now I have no problem changing the script so that n.* in the future is
the allowed version. In fact that has advantages, as it extends the life
of the addon beyond the beta phase into the release phase (which lately
has routinely needed a n.0.1 version).

But it would be very helpful if I knew the standard plan for allowed
revisions. In the future, will the n.* or the n.0 be a more reliable
early allowed version?

This is very important for binary addons, as with the new rapid release
cycle and disciplines in maintaining stable interfaces beginning with
aurora, a diligent addon author can submit a new binary addon revision
to AMO about now, and get it reviewed and available to be usable with
beta users. Without similar discipline from the core Thunderbird, this
is not possible.

rkent