Status of the "Compose in a tab" experiment

Jonathan Protzenko jonathan.protzenko at gmail.com
Fri Dec 30 20:38:01 UTC 2011

Hi Douglas and others potentially following this thread,

The compose in a tab experiment is and remains an experiment. I have no
time to invest any more time into it, so please consider it as a dead
project from now on. (There should be a disclaimer for that on the
addon page on addons.mozilla.org)

The goal of that experiment was manifold:
- perform all the composition process with as much as javascript as
possible: most of that work has been recycled for the Thunderbird
Conversations addon and its quick reply feature (which is actively
maintained),
- experiment with another editor for writing html mail: the ckeditor
has been a less than satisfactory one, and I don't think we want to
keep it if we were to do future iterations of this thing,
- implement the compose in a tab feature: since tabs on top just
recently landed on trunk, I'm pretty sure we'll see that fixed in the
upcoming months.

Thanks for your interest! Cheers,

jonathan