Student project: Thunderbird Addon Development

Patrick Ben Koetter p at state-of-mind.de
Fri Dec 23 15:55:36 UTC 2011

* Ben Bucksch <ben.bucksch at beonex.com>:
> On 23.12.2011 12:50, Patrick Ben Koetter wrote:
> >I don't want to start a war on this, but I've heared quite a few times that
> >SyncML is dead and ActiceSync would be the way to go.
>
> Correct me when I'm wrong, but it's like saying "LDAP is dead,

Hmmm, I recall a guy called Ben who has a tendency to say LDAP is dead ... ;)

> ActiveDirectory is the way to go". ActiveSync is a Microsoft
> protocol originating with Windows CE / Mobile. SyncML is a
> vendor-neutral standard.

AFAIR the people I quote say that SyncML "works more or less" whereas
ActiveSync "simply works". That's why they would say SyncML is dead.

> SyncML is built into several phones, like Nokia. There are several
> open-source implementations of SyncML servers (e.g. Funambol) and
> clients (e.g. Evolution, all the Funambol clients).

I am aware of that. We host SOGo with Funambol for Nokia users.

p at rick

--
state of mind ()

http://www.state-of-mind.de

Franziskanerstraße 15      Telefon +49 89 3090 4664
81669 München              Telefax +49 89 3090 4666