Student project: Thunderbird Addon Development

Ben Bucksch ben.bucksch at beonex.com
Fri Dec 23 02:16:15 UTC 2011

Main pain point for me is currently the sync of address book and
calendar with cell phones.

1. Export of (all or one) address book entries to vcard would be one
step - simple, helps a lot, in many situations.

2. Best would be sync via SyncML via http, 2-way. Similar to Funambol,
just that Thunderbird would be the "server". I.e. Thunderbird runs a
small HTTP server on the desktop. The TB GUI tells the user the http URL
(with local IP addr or computer name, and port of TB http server), so
that the user can enter this URL in his cell phone (e.g. Nokia or
Android with Funambol app). Thunderbird then speaks SyncML via http.
Shouldn't be too hard either, but would need talented and engaged students.

Ben