New Account Types directions - should SkinkGlue be core?

Joshua Cranmer Pidgeot18 at verizon.net
Fri Apr 29 17:49:58 UTC 2011

On 04/26/2011 04:16 PM, Kent James wrote:
> So I am asking the question, is there any interest in make SkinkGlue
> part of the core Thunderbird distribution?

At this point, my personal preference is to make glue libraries to
separate out implementation details of interfaces from the consumers of
those interfaces. However, I do recognize that such an approach is
probably unfeasible in the near-term, especially since I do not possess
the time to really work on this stuff.

I am going to agree with asuth here and say that it is probably better
to land it at this point to give it more visibility and enable more
developer feedback on how well it works. But I also don't think it's
quite ready for prime time yet, and I think it would be better to give
developers a cleaner, more capable way of doing things in the
mid-to-long-term.

As a side point, I wish to express my disapproval of the "SkinkGlue"
name, but I'm sure you already knew that. :-)

--
Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it. -- Donald E. Knuth