Schedule Driven Releases: Channel Strategy

Blake Winton bwinton at mozilla.com
Thu Apr 21 15:57:50 UTC 2011

On 11-04-21 8:47 , Robert Kaiser wrote:
> Mark Banner schrieb:
>> With this mapping, we'll also definitely need the Canary system
>> completing for the trunk builds.
> Actually, I'd think that with this, you don't need the Canary system at
> all, as anyone concerned with stability in the slightest sense will use
> aurora-based builds and trunk should build against mozilla-central
> proper exactly to find any compile, etc. problems as fast as possible,
> while a Canary-style system papers over that and invites to not fixing
> problems.

As someone trying to write and review patches for Thunderbird, I want to
be able to compile and run the code.  Since it will be landing on trunk,
I'm forced to use trunk to do this.  If m-c breaks c-c, as has happened
in the past, I don't want to have to waste my time (and the time of
everyone else in my situation) tracking down and fixing things.

I believe in our ability to make the Canary system annoying enough to
the right people when things break that we will fix them as quickly as
we are able to, while still letting people who have other stuff to do to
continue doing it.  (Heck, we could send SMS messages every 15 minutes
until trunk compiles and passes the tests, if it comes to that. ;)

Later,
Blake.
--
Blake Winton   Thunderbird Front End Lead
bwinton at mozilla.com