Thunderbird Home Tab

Bryan Clark clarkbw at gnome.org
Sun Apr 17 23:02:26 UTC 2011

I think this is a great idea.

I did a mockup for this a while back but I can't seem to find it now.
It wasn't much but just started in the direction you're talking about.
http://cl.ly/150M3p0f3t3S2W09323D

Create a home tab which is always available and instead of requiring a 3
pane window to always be open it's the home tab that is required.  This
has a number of great improvements to the over all system.

* Instead of showing a 3 pane like tab (using an empty account page)
when Thunderbird is being setup we show the home tab
* The only tab that can't be closed is the home tab instead of the 3
pane window.  The home tab helps you launch other tabs like the 3 pane
tab or add-on provided tabs.
* Opening mail in new windows simply becomes opening TB in a new window
with a message reader tab and the home tab (likely the tab row is hidden
in this case); which avoids all the duplicate code of the current
separate window

I'd love to help where I can.  I'd say just get started on something
very simple and build from there.  Currently AFAIK much of TB is
expecting a 3 pane running at all times so you'll likely hit most of
your issues there.

~ Bryan