Thunderbird Home Tab

Jim squibblyflabbetydoo at gmail.com
Sun Apr 17 19:15:23 UTC 2011

On Sun, Apr 17, 2011 at 11:26 AM, Jonathan Protzenko
<jonathan.protzenko at gmail.com> wrote:
> TL;DR
>
> I've been thinking about the web tabs and the rss dashboard experiments. I
> think a very nice project could be a Thunderbird home tab, just like the
> Firefox home tab. It could unify web tabs, rss dashboard, and possibly other
> information, into a single page that's your entry point into Thunderbird,
> and that also gives you an overview of everything that happens in your
> Thunderbird. Plus, it could provide a consistent experience between Firefox
> and Thunderbird.

Excellent! I was thinking about this too. The home tab seems like the
next logical step in the progression from thread summaries to folder
summaries to account summaries. :) This would also be a great place
for extensions (e.g. Lightning) to hook into to provide a summary of
their info (e.g. upcoming events/tasks). In fact, for Lightning, you
could probably use the home tab to replace the Today Pane entirely.

It's been a really long time since I used it, but I recall that MS
Outlook had something vaguely like this. Apparently it's called
"Outlook Today" and looks like this:
<http://www.theworldofoffice.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/using-2dmicrosoft-2doutlook-2dpic1-small.jpg>

- Jim