Status of the "Compose in a tab" experiment

Mark Banner mbanner at mozillamessaging.com
Wed Apr 6 21:37:10 UTC 2011

On 05/04/2011 11:42, Tanstaafl wrote:
> Is there something about this new compose feature that makes it only
> workable in a tab? Or is that just the way you've designed it? The HTML
> composition bugs in TBird are really my only remaining real gripe
> nowadays, and I sure hope the new composer won't *require* the use of
> composing in tabs...
Don't forget this is just an experiment at the moment.

Something that we're currently discussing for longer term is to
eradicate the separated code for the standalone message window. This
does not mean getting rid of the standalone message window - more just
that behind the scenes it'll actually be the same window type as the
main three pane window.

There would be various advantages to this approach, e.g. a single
message tab could be torn off into its own separate window that looks
just like the standalone message window as it is currently but with the
tab UI hidden. However, we could also use the approach for compose.

The changes would reduce the need for the code duplication - once
something is created in a tab, you can also display it as a standalone
window.

We've not started on this yet, and it really is in the early stages of
discussion, but I thought I'd bring it up now as it should help to
simplify doing extensions like this.

Mark.