HTML vs. XUL

KaiRo - Robert Kaiser kairo at kairo.at
Tue Apr 5 22:34:45 UTC 2011

Ben Bucksch schrieb:
>> All the widgets. <input> is a nightmare compared to XUL.

It is, and it's one of my biggest problems when thinking about the
future - as I strongly believe that in the future, XUL _will_ be
obsolete and HTML _will_ be the things to do.

Still, we're not there yet and there's still a significant way to go
there - but we should try to get anything into HTML where XUL is better
now in terms of creating UI and applications. We really want the openly
standardized, cross-web-runtime-implemented way to do applications to
succeed (not that I'm saying "web runtime" intentionally for the thing
commonly called "browser").

> HTML just isn't made for app development, XUL is, and it shows, big time.

I agree, at the current point. We should help HTML being developed to a
point where that's not true any more.

Until then, I think application UI should be done in XUL while we in
parallel should be pushing for HTML to be able to replace it.

Robert Kaiser