HTML vs. XUL (was: Status of the "Compose in a tab" experiment)

Ben Bucksch ben.bucksch at beonex.com
Tue Apr 5 21:47:34 UTC 2011

On 05.04.2011 23:40, Ben Bucksch wrote:
> On 05.04.2011 22:11, Jonathan Protzenko wrote:
>> -moz-box-flex, which *is* the XUL box model.
>
> Yes, that's good that we have that now.
>
>> What's left that XUL has and HTML hasn't?
>
> All the widgets. <input> is a nightmare compared to XUL.

Oh, and the events are all different. <html:iframe> loads notifications
work totally, but subtly, different - and worse - to <xul:iframe>, go
figure. <script> likewise, I think I ran into cases where the scripts
were not evaluated in the order listed, even for local protocols, while
they are in XUL, and I depend on that, it's a matter of course for me.
Similar differences with DOM events sent from input fields, load events
etc.. It was enough for me to tear my hairs out, and for one of my
developers to quit (one of his reasons).

HTML just isn't made for app development, XUL is, and it shows, big time.

Ben