Thunderbird startup-time

Mark Banner mbanner at mozillamessaging.com
Sun Apr 3 19:12:46 UTC 2011

On 01/04/2011 22:19, neandr wrote:
> How to Improve Extension Startup Performance?
I think first we need to check on Thunderbird's startup performance. I'm
sure there's some things that we can delay until after start-up. If
there are then we may need extra hooks and things available to be able
to do this.

Once we have those, then I think we'll be able to communicate the
experience to add-on authors as well, and push harder on it.

> So there are info pages and tools for FX4 but AFAInotS for TB/SM.
If you mean for extensions specifically, then we have those already. If
you're specifically on about start-up times, then it'd be useful to know
where the Firefox pages are then we can look at providing appropriate
versions/alterations.

> At this link
> <http://blog.mozilla.com/addons/2010/06/14/improve-extension-startup-performance/>
> you will find a description what the FX people recommend and going to
> https://wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox/Projects/StartupPerformance/MeasuringStartup
> you find a link to an extension supporting "MeasuringStartup".
>
> How about having such an extension for TB3.1/3.3 (SM?) also?
I've not been able to look at it yet, but I'd be surprised if that
couldn't be easily ported to 3.3. AFAIK all the back-end supporting code
went into core, although there may be one or two bits missing.

> So, this is a call to the maildev experts to adapt it. I could think
> about having the results displayed as part of a special startup page.
iirc that page display an about:startup page, this could easily be done
in the extension. I'm not sure Firefox do more than that, I'll try and
find out.

Mark.