Directions for Thunderbird

Archaeopteryx archaeopteryx at coole-files.de
Sat Apr 2 09:15:45 UTC 2011

It's likely that he is talking about Snowl:
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/mozilla-labs-snowl/

My usage pains which also affect other users:
1) Lack of multi-account handling. If you have only one account, it is
fast to do everything in web mail. Thunderbird offers good possibilities
as aggregator, but fails on simple things like setting the correct mail
identity when replying.
2) In news groups: No view which shows all messages of a thread in a
single view. It's a pain to see an interesting thread and have always to
click in the message list, move the mouse to the message pane, scroll,
3) RSS is more tricky: Thunderbird is useful for low volume feeds, but
in high volume feeds like news, you are likely to miss items if your
machine doesn't run 24/7. Web aggregators like Google Reader and Tiny
Tiny RSS try to aggregate all items, but lack customization and guidance
for the user (like filtering out duplicates from multiple feeds, saved
searchs, filtering and moving to priority folder, deleting ranges which
you read etc). Currently, RSS is in a mediocre to unusable state (you
cannot filter feeds and move the items to a local account because the
content won't show up - which is itself a workaround to Thunderbird
having to customized favorite folder view in which you could (put and?)
_sort_ the folders like you want them).

The ideal for Thunderbird imho would be a data aggregation and
communication central.

@Ben: Why did you write a XMPP client? Was
https://addons.mozilla.org/thunderbird/search/?q=xmpp&status=4&sourceid=Mozilla-search
not good enough?