Thunderbird releases - moving forward

Mark Banner mbanner at mozillamessaging.com
Thu Nov 4 13:37:01 UTC 2010

During the meetings on Tuesday, the drivers team discussed the status of
account provisioning, and the next major releases of Thunderbird.

At the moment, the schedule for account provisioning to be incorporated
into the core product is difficult to determine as it depends on various
factors including a period of time to receive feedback.

When account provisioning is ready, we have several possibilities for
shipping it: from a release based on the current trunk builds, in a 3.2
build based on the existing 3.1 builds, possibly even in a 3.1.x build
(similar in style to the way FF incorporated out-of-process plugins).

These possibilities all have various advantages but until we are closer
to the time, it will be difficult to determine which one is most
appropriate.

Given that whatever we do, we suspect we will want to ship a release
from trunk soon, or at some point after Firefox 4 is released, we have
decided to start releasing alpha builds from trunk. The intent of these
alphas is to start previewing some of the core changes that have
happened since the last release, to get some wider testing of the
builds, and to aim as a focus point for bringing trunk builds up to a
release-candidate state.

The alphas will be called 3.3a<n>. If at some time we do decide to ship
account provisioning from a 3.2 or 3.1 release, then we'll temporarily
pause the 3.3 alphas and do the release, and then pick up where we left
off for the next version.

I'll be putting up more information about the alphas and 3.3 over the
next few weeks.

Standard8