testing proposal: embed mozmill/jsbridge/mozrunner into mail/

Dan Mosedale dmose at mozilla.org
Wed Mar 24 18:20:23 UTC 2010

  On 3/24/10 10:45 AM, Andrew Sutherland wrote:
> it suggests that we are using mozmill wrong by treating it as
> something to be installed separately rather than something to be
> embedded*.
>
> This could also let us make meaningful enhancements to MozMill proper
> without having to always hack around its limitations because otherwise
> we need to depend on release cycles that can never happen fast
> enough.  (So, quasi-ironically, embedding would make us better open
> source participants because sending things upstream becomes feasible.)
>
> Andrew
>
> * Another option might be to require a specific version using
> pkg_resources or what not.  The downside to this is we need to wait
> for the mozmill release cycle if we fix bugs/enhance mozmill in
> mozmill proper.
It sounds like you're proposing to ship it as part of Thunderbird
proper?  This would also have the advantage of making it easier for
add-on authors to do automated tests.  It would be interesting to
understand what the costs of that would be.

An less win-like alternative for Windows builders is that I got the
impression a while back that Ted would be amenable to including it in
the moztools package.

I suspect it would be worth quick discussions with ctalbert and atul to
undertand current thinking and experience here.

Dan