Announcing "Top Missing Domains" effort -- We need your help!

David Ascher dascher at mozilla.com
Sat Mar 13 18:20:09 UTC 2010

In Thunderbird 3, we have a new account configuration system which can
get pre-defined configuration information from the web, among other
methods of configuration. This means that for the most frequent domains,
we can easily make Thunderbird configuration fast and correct, leading
to more happy users of Thunderbird using the best (e.g. most secure)
configuration possible.

However, we also know that for many domains we're missing these
configuration files.  We need help, in particular from people speaking
more languages, to help us get better coverage.

The wiki page https://wiki.mozilla.org/Thunderbird/TopMissingDomains
covers the process that we'll follow.  It outlines the process.  We
currently need help with people who can submit configurations for people
in the following countries:  Russia, Poland, Czechoslovakia, Autria,
Belgium, Switzerland, the US, Germany, and the UK.

It should only take a few minutes for someone to pick up a domain, get
the configuration, and help thousands of their compatriots, which is a
great way to help!  By doing only a few carefully selected dozen domains
we should be able to double the percentage of people who get perfect
thunderbird configurations!

Pascal, Sipaq, feel free to pass this message to people you think can
help (I'm thinking in particular of the relevant localizers).

--david ascher