Migration assistant feedback wanted.

Ben Bucksch ben.bucksch at beonex.com
Fri Mar 12 22:45:45 UTC 2010

  On 12.03.2010 22:15, Andreas Nilsson wrote:
>  On 03/12/2010 02:57 PM, Ben Bucksch wrote:
>> If you do an "migration assistant" anyways, why not check whether the
>> user used compact headers in TB2 and only then offer the addon?
> Interesting idea. Is there a good way to technically do that?

At least in 3.x, it's the "mail.show_headers" pref.

>> I would suggest to investigate other approaches, e.g. linking to the
>> Compact headers extension in the View | headers menu. This is more
>> "on demand" and fits more naturally with the users' thinking and what
>> they have in mind at this particular moment.
> Worth looking into.

Great.

I would suggest a combined approach: Let the migration assistant detect
when the user used compact headers in TB2.0, and only then suggest the
add-on (and then prominently). If not, skip that assistant part. Either
way, put the View | Header menu item (linking to the extension) in
there. With that, we are on par with TB 2.0: People who had it will keep
it, and people who didn't have it and want to enable it later will find
it in the same place where it was in TB2.