Policy change for the blocking next release flag

Andrew Sutherland asutherland at asutherland.org
Fri Mar 12 19:36:02 UTC 2010

  On 03/12/2010 08:32 AM, Kent James wrote:
> This change, along with the tb-planning list, are both in the category
> of "we would like less input from the community". So you are reducing
> the ability of people in the community to say what is important to them.

I would characterize the fundamental problem as:

There are many more problems with Thunderbird as it stands than there is
manpower to address.  Having a person who could otherwise be fixing bugs
(or improving things) spend time triaging bugs that realistically are
not remotely a priority only reduces the amount of bugs we can get to.
Factor in that the act of denying blocking status to a bug can result in
a significant added burden as a small flame-war starts up on the bug,
and it's a losing proposition.

GetSatisfaction is our current support venue.  It is actively
monitored.  We are relying on the support team and QA team to recognize
significant problems and involve developers and project management for
triaging and resolution.  GS includes mechanisms for people to indicate
that they have the same problem as someone else, allowing detection of
significant problems in a way that scales.

Andrew