Policy change for the blocking next release flag

Dan Mosedale dmose at mozilla.org
Thu Mar 11 22:54:14 UTC 2010

  On 3/10/10 6:20 PM, Blake Winton wrote:
> On 10-03-08 6:58, Ludovic Hirlimann wrote:
>> We are looking at ways to drive bugs into releases more efficiently one
>> of these ways is ton control the size of bug list. One such bug list the
>> bug list based on the blocking request flag. In order to be more
>> efficient, we are going to restrain access to who can set the flag.
>>
>> I've posted a draft policy at
>> https://wiki.mozilla.org/Thunderbird:Blocking_Flag_Policy with a initial
>> list at https://wiki.mozilla.org/Thunderbird:Blocking_Flag_Policy:List.
>>
>> Comments welcome before we start actually implementing this.
>
> My only thought is that we might want to separate "Core developers"
> and "People being paid to work on TB." into two different items,
> because they may not be the same set of people.
I tend to agree that "being paid" may not be the right metric here.
That said, at some level, I don't think we're trying for a formal list
here, as much as a set of guidelines to set people's expectations and to
help Ludo maintain the list, and I don't think being super-precise here
is worth much time.
> Other than that, it seems like it'll be extra work for people like me,
> when folks try to convince me to ask for blocking, but less work on
> the triagers, and I think that's a fair trade, or at least worth a try.
Indeed, let's give it a try.  I suspect that there won't be much added
load here, but if there is, and if it's a problem for people, we can
consider how to deal with that with specifics in hand.

Dan