code name for Thunderbird 3.2

Dan Mosedale dmose at mozilla.org
Thu Jun 24 21:01:01 UTC 2010

  On 6/18/10 4:01 PM, Dan Mosedale wrote:
> Thunderbird 3.1 was code-named Lanikai, after a beach in Hawaii, and
> the Mozilla Foundation is running a campaign to help people donate to
> help stabilize an endangered species of bird there at
> <http://www.mozilla.org/parks/lanikai/>.
>
> We'd like to do something similar for Thunderbird 3.2, and have been
> talking to the Mozilla Foundation about our options.  They mentioned
> that a lot of folks have been asking if there's some way for Mozilla
> to help channel charitable donations to help clean up after the oil
> spill in the Gulf of Mexico, and suggested that naming the release
> after Miramar beach in Florida would be a good way to do this.
>
> To quote:
>> [Miramar] is on the gulf coast. It's on the edge of the spill zone,
>> but not largely effected yet, nor is it one of the truly devastated
>> areas. It is a vacation destination in the gulf and the name isn't
>> directly correlated to the spill (so it doesn't immediately make one
>> think of the disaster when they hear the name). The thinking with
>> choosing this beach is that we could use the name (easy to say in
>> English) for 3.2, but fundraise for clean up efforts for the entire
>> gulf.
> I like this thinking, as it strikes me that it does a good job of
> balancing naming concerns while still helping us Do the Right Thing by
> fundraising for the gulf.
First off, thanks to everyone for the feedback on using Miramar as a
code name.  A number of good points were brought up (particularly around
known impact of donations & Amero-centricity).   In the interest of not
spending a lot of time on things like code-naming that we could be
spending on the product itself, I'm very much inclined to bias away from
"perfect" and towards "good enough".  All things considered, I think
that, Miramar is a fine code name, and so we're going to use that for 3.2.

We will continue to get more chances to pick code names in the future,
and we'll try to take the feedback given this time into account as we do
that.  In particular, I'll commit to making the next code name not be in
North America at all...

Dan