Canary System for trunk

Mark Banner mbanner at mozillamessaging.com
Thu Jun 17 12:24:33 UTC 2010

  On 17/06/2010 09:19, Mark Banner wrote:
> Based on the recent discussion
> <http://groups.google.com/group/tb-planning/browse_frm/thread/7cd3e8ab756f910e#>
> about a second set of builders / canary system. I've come up with a
> spec of what we want it to do:
>
> https://wiki.mozilla.org/Thunderbird/Infrastructure/Canary_System
>
> At this stage, I'm just trying to come up with a list of aims/basic
> design features to check that we've got everything that we want from
> it covered. Once we've agreed on that, then we can start thinking
> about the implementation.
>
> Hence, please provide thoughts/feedback here.
One minor issue I've just thought of. If mozilla-central does an API
change which breaks canary, and we then check the fix into comm-central,
then we'll temporarily break trunk.

However, I think there's two options here: one is that we plan the trunk
breakage so that once canary is green trunk will pick up the latest fix
and rebuild, the other is that we provide a method for manually bumping
the revision of trunk - i.e. I know this revision of mozilla-central
will be green with the next revision of comm-central.

I'll work that into the requirements later.

Mark.