jQuery Templating in the HomeTab.

Andrew Sutherland asutherland at asutherland.org
Thu Jun 10 00:03:44 UTC 2010

  On 06/09/2010 02:59 PM, Blake Winton wrote:
> So, I've converted one of the bits of javascript we use into a
> template, and committed it as
> <http://hg.mozilla.org/users/bwinton_latte.ca/hometab/rev/3f7d9dcc5609>,
> and I plan on converting the rest in the near future.

It looks like this was replacing jQuery-based HTML generation, which
tends to end up ugly.  This seems like a good improvement over that.
The traditional moztech approach would be XBL which is definitely
theme-able, but has those horrible horrible life-cycle issues which are
no doubt the reason you skipped using it.

I would say move forward with jQuery templating at full speed.  I say
this with the impression that the goal of HomeTab is primarily as a UI
prototype and usable and pragmatic extension that is not intended to be
core UI without a rewrite.  The 'without a rewrite' is because I believe
very strongly in our goal of extensibility but would not expect a
rapidly developed UI based on templating to provide an ideal
extensibility story.  I suspect it could be done, but would compromise
the rapid development which I think is very important for iterating on
the UI experiments (or end up very limited/limiting).

If I'm off-base here and the goal would be to land the home tab in core
with only minor changes, then we should probably discuss the
extensibility aspect more and revisit whether it's appropriate to use
wmsy despite its early state.

Andrew