NNTP and thunderbird-related lists

David Bienvenu bienvenu at davidbienvenu.org
Fri Jul 30 20:47:33 UTC 2010

  On 7/30/2010 1:31 PM, Dan Mosedale wrote:
> Usually, an NNTP server spits out XOVER headers by streaming from a file stored on the server, and has a very compact representation for those headers. POP3 and IMAP
> don't have such an efficient mechanism for getting message headers (IMAP has an envelope command, but we had to stop using it because enough servers impls were broken
> that we were just hurting our users).
> Interesting.  When did that disabling happen?
Probably TB 1.5, iirc.
> Is there any chance that server impls have gotten better in the time since that was last tried?
Quite possibly. Iirc, it was the newer servers that were broken. I could always turn it on again in nightlies and see what the fallout is.  My main reluctance would be the
potential support burden on yours truly, which kinda sucks because it means a few users on broken servers slow things down for everyone else.

- David