NNTP and thunderbird-related lists

Wayne Mery (vn) vseerror at Lehigh.EDU
Fri Jul 30 20:46:07 UTC 2010

On 7/30/2010 3:15 PM, Dan Mosedale wrote:
>> - I use dedicated tools at home that inform me when someone has
>> replied to
>> a post of mine in a newsgroup. That way I can prioritize these kinds of
>> conversations. I haven't found a tool that does that for my mailreader
>> TB.
> What sort of notification mechanism does it use to inform you? If
> someone wrote an add-on that made the "Watch" feature work for email, do
> you think that would that be good enough?

The following is not to suggest that this would make email "good enough"
to replace nntp, but in general ...

Such a tool would be a great time saver. Think of use cases in
getsatisfaction, bugmail, etc., where you care about some threads more
than others. Drawing from both news and mail bugs which describe related
issues...

bug 11048  Auto-watch threads you've posted to (Preference)
bug 237161 Highlight Newsgroup if there is a reply to a watched thread
bug 179033 enable ignore/kill/watch for mail (and mail filters)
bug 123375 filters that expire
bug 11036 Filter by example (create filter based on viewed message)

Taking 11048 for example, I would love to have something that would
highlight a thread if a new bugmail or gsfn message/post arrived within
N messages of when I posted.