NNTP and thunderbird-related lists

David Bienvenu bienvenu at davidbienvenu.org
Fri Jul 30 19:55:42 UTC 2010

  On 7/30/2010 12:15 PM, Dan Mosedale wrote:

>> - POP3 or IMAP servers are much slower in downloading a larger number of
>>    messages than a dedicated NNTP server. So I have to wait much longer
>>    to take a look at the contents of a mailing list compared to a newsgroup.
> That's an interesting point.  I wasn't aware that that was true these days.
Usually, an NNTP server spits out XOVER headers by streaming from a file stored on the server, and has a very compact representation for those headers. POP3 and IMAP don't
have such an efficient mechanism for getting message headers (IMAP has an envelope command, but we had to stop using it because enough servers impls were broken that we
were just hurting our users).

- David