NNTP and thunderbird-related lists

Dan Mosedale dmose at mozillamessaging.com
Fri Jul 30 18:55:53 UTC 2010

  On 7/29/10 10:49 PM, Ludovic Hirlimann wrote:
>   On 29/07/10 00:46, Dan Mosedale wrote:
>> If this isn't a good summary, or if there are other reasons folks
>> wanted to have NNTP access for those (and future Thunderbird lists)
>> that I haven't mentioned, please reply to this message with details.
> One thing is missing and it's the way I find cross-posting a lot more
> convenient to do over NNTP than SMTP, and this happens some time (and
> yes not for every post but still).
>      NNTP gives me the ability to choose where the conversation is going
> to happen (fu2), where for smtp it's going to depend on how awake the
> person answering is (that is I post to A and B, someone reads on A and
> replies without looking post goes on A, same Happens in B, I need to
> follow two conversations - whereas with nntp and fu2 I say when I post
> where the thread will end up).
>      NNTP let's me read a messages posted to more than a group only once
> and mark it read in all the groups ( and yes that's been broken forever
> in TB, but still the protocol let's me do that very easily)
You're quite right that the cross-posting experience is both better and
better defined in the NNTP protocol level.

I do want to be a bit careful here, though, and keep this part of the
discussion back to the specific thing I'm trying to dig into here, which
is the tb-planning and tb-enterprise mailing lists decision.

Dan