NNTP and thunderbird-related lists

bugzilla at babylonsounds.com bugzilla at babylonsounds.com
Fri Jul 30 07:24:29 UTC 2010

Dan Mosedale <dmose at mozillamessaging.com> hat am 29. Juli 2010 um 00:46
geschrieben:

> In the last little while, we've created tb-planning and tb-enterprise,
> two mailing list / google group pairs that don't have NNTP
> counterparts.  While I talked some about the reasoning there at the
> time, I didn't really go into enough depth.  I've gotten repeated
> requests to explain in more detail, which I'd like to do now.  As part
> of that, I'd like to start by making sure that I've heard and understood
> why people were hoping that there would be NNTP access.
>
> I did a quick review of the relevant conversations in tb-planning and
> dev-apps-thunderbird that I could find using Google groups, I saw two
> objections:
>
> *  When one subscribes to a mailing list, the default behavior of most
> mailers (including Thunderbird) is to dump that subscription into their
> Inbox, which subsequently needs to be dealt with either by manually
> creating a filter, or by handling all messages in the Inbox.  Newsgroups
> do not have this issue.
>
> * When one subscribes to a mailing list in a desktop client (including
> Thunderbird), there's no immediate context displaying the conversations
> currently in progress.  A user needs to go find a web archive of that
> mailing list in order to see existing relevant conversations.
> Newsgroups don't have this issue either.
>
> If this isn't a good summary, or if there are other reasons folks wanted
> to have NNTP access for those (and future Thunderbird lists) that I
> haven't mentioned, please reply to this message with details.

I haven't prepared an exhaustive list and some things have already been
mentioned by Ben and others, but here it comes:

- My Inbox and my mailer is a kind of to do list for me. Unread mails
  tell me, there's something that you have to deal with. I don't have
  that with a dedicated newsreader
- POP3 or IMAP servers are much slower in downloading a larger number of
  messages than a dedicated NNTP server. So I have to wait much longer
  to take a look at the contents of a mailing list compared to a newsgroup.
- I use a dedicated newsreader (Forte Agent) for reading newsgroups, which
  is much better in terms of speed, threading and filtering. It also allows
  me to ignore threads or sub-threads. That is something that a TB is
  unable to do, since a mailreader is primarily designed for 1:1
  conversations, not 1:n or m:n conversations.
- Due to my day job (consultant) I have to read mail and newsgroups through
  web interfaces throughout the work week. Generally NNTP web interfaces
  like www.newsoffice.de do a much better job in terms of presenting
  threads and conversations than the webmailer of my mail provider.
- I use dedicated tools at home that inform me when someone has replied to
  a post of mine in a newsgroup. That way I can prioritize these kinds of
  conversations. I haven't found a tool that does that for my mailreader TB.

Therefore I'd really like to see tb-planning become a newsgroup again.

Cya
Simon