NNTP and thunderbird-related lists

Ludovic Hirlimann ludovic at mozillamessaging.com
Fri Jul 30 05:49:55 UTC 2010

 On 29/07/10 00:46, Dan Mosedale wrote:

> If this isn't a good summary, or if there are other reasons folks
> wanted to have NNTP access for those (and future Thunderbird lists)
> that I haven't mentioned, please reply to this message with details.
One thing is missing and it's the way I find cross-posting a lot more
convenient to do over NNTP than SMTP, and this happens some time (and
yes not for every post but still).
    NNTP gives me the ability to choose where the conversation is going
to happen (fu2), where for smtp it's going to depend on how awake the
person answering is (that is I post to A and B, someone reads on A and
replies without looking post goes on A, same Happens in B, I need to
follow two conversations - whereas with nntp and fu2 I say when I post
where the thread will end up).
    NNTP let's me read a messages posted to more than a group only once
and mark it read in all the groups ( and yes that's been broken forever
in TB, but still the protocol let's me do that very easily)

Ludo

--
Ludovic Hirlimann MozillaMessaging QA lead
http://www.spreadthunderbird.com/aff/79/2