NNTP and thunderbird-related lists

Robert Kaiser KaiRo at KaiRo.at
Thu Jul 29 20:49:36 UTC 2010

[re-send to list after Reply-default-fail]

Dan Mosedale schrieb:
> So if I'm understanding correctly, this is really less about the
> underlying transport mechanism (NNTP vs. SMTP), but, rather about the
> way that most current email UI code isn't smart enough to present less
> urgent fora in a way that's easily skimmed in a more leisurely fashion.
> Is that right?

To a certain degree, yes, but unless we can solve every piece of my
email experience at once (i.e. including any mobile use, which I
currently satisfy with the basic webmail experience of squirrelmail),
we'll not be able to satisfyingly solve the problem. And as nice as the
hypothetical work that might one time get done for Thunderdrop (not sure
which is the actual future product, so I merge them) is, it doesn't help
me much today and won't help the whole chain for a while.

Still, the push vs. pull problem is a feature of the transport
mechanism, and won't be solved by Thunderdrop UX work.

Robert Kaiser