NNTP and thunderbird-related lists

Ludovic Hirlimann ludovic at mozillamessaging.com
Thu Jul 29 20:51:08 UTC 2010

 On 29/07/10 21:32, Blake Winton wrote:
> On 10-07-29 3:07 PM, Dan Mosedale wrote:
>> On 7/29/10 11:04 AM, Alan Lord (Gmail) wrote:
>>> In a sense you are right. I don't really think about whether it's
>>> IMAP or NNTP. But, the way you [more likely "I"] interact or relate
>>> with a newsgroup is very different to an email list.
>> I very much agree that in Thunderbird, the interactions currently
>> presented for mailboxes and newsgroups have important differences,
>> such that the "newsgroup presentation" is non-trivially more pleasant
>> for a number of workflows and tasks.
>
> Are there any differences between them that _aren't_ related to the
> way we present them?  i.e. if they were both presented in exactly the
> same manner, would you still interact or relate to them differently?
>
> I've noticed that for most of the organizations I interact with,
> (thinking about it a little, I think I mean every organization except
> for Mozilla,) mailing lists and web forums are how they communicate.
> I strongly agree that in Thunderbird the newsgroup UI does seem to
> work better for a number of tasks, and so I think one of our goals
> should be to bring the benefits of the newsgroup UI to the
> methods/protocols our users are currently using.  (I'm not offering
> any suggestions as to how we should do that, just the suggestion that
> that's something we should aim for.)
>
>>> The replying bit is much more complex and requires concentration:
>>> For this *very* message I clicked on Reply and noticed that it
>>> would reply just to Dan. So I used Reply All and then had to change
>>> Dan's email from To: to CC: and the list from CC: to To:. Blech -
>>> that sucks.
>> Agreed; we can do better here for the email workflow. There's
>> actually a bug that Blake was working on a while ago to make it easy
>> to toggle which _might_ address this. I'll let him chime in about
>> whether it would cover this use case.
>
> Well, in theory it would, but I just hit the "reply list" button, and
> it goes to the right people.  ;)
>
> The extension (which needs some changes made to Thunderbird, and which
> probably doesn't work, and which is located at
> <http://hg.mozilla.org/users/bwinton_latte.ca/replytoggle/>) would let
> you toggle between all the various reply modes right from the compose
> pane.

Which doesn't detect my work email being an alias on a personnal one so
I'm sending to the list with the wrong sender. I have the same settings
for nntp and never get rejected by the sever, because it doesn't check
the from field.

--
Ludovic Hirlimann MozillaMessaging QA lead
http://www.spreadthunderbird.com/aff/79/2