NNTP and thunderbird-related lists

Dan Mosedale dmose at mozilla.org
Thu Jul 29 19:23:47 UTC 2010

  On 7/29/10 12:11 PM, Karsten Düsterloh wrote:
>> Active/noisy mailing lists mean many mails, which flood your inbox and
>> overshadow actual important mail.
>> Probably not an issue for TB mailing lists. :-P

I see what you mean.  So this is another instance of lack of automatic
segregration of bulk email by the client, unless I'm misunderstanding.

>>> Newsservers usually(!) have a server wide login (if at all),
>> I'm not sure how this applies to the Thunderbird-related lists (eg
>> tb-planning and tb-enterprise).  Does it?
> news.mozilla.org needs no login, tb-planning needs registration
> - ->  yes, it does apply - I need to remember the mailman credentials.

Ah, gotcha; I had misunderstood you to be talking about a barrier to
entry to the archives, not the barrier to subscribing.

>>> Google Groups is a badly searchable
>> In what way do you feel Google Groups is badly searchable?
> It's out-of-process (web!)

By out-of-process, I'm guessing you mean that it's a jarring
user-experience to have to do it somewhere other than in the place where
you handle the rest of your messages?

> and buggy (postings not found although you
> can read them if you know the URL, postings missing completely, etc.).

Interesting; I haven't run across this.  How frequently do you see it?

Dan