NNTP and thunderbird-related lists

Dan Mosedale dmose at mozilla.org
Thu Jul 29 19:07:51 UTC 2010

  On 7/29/10 11:04 AM, Alan Lord (Gmail) wrote:
> In a sense you are right. I don't really think about whether it's IMAP
> or NNTP. But, the way you [more likely "I"] interact or relate with a
> newsgroup is very different to an email list.

I very much agree that in Thunderbird, the interactions currently
presented for mailboxes and newsgroups have important differences, such
that the "newsgroup presentation" is non-trivially more pleasant for a
number of workflows and tasks.
> The replying bit is much more complex and requires concentration: For
> this *very* message I clicked on Reply and noticed that it would reply
> just to Dan. So I used Reply All and then had to change Dan's email
> from To: to CC: and the list from CC: to To:. Blech - that sucks.
Agreed; we can do better here for the email workflow.  There's actually
a bug that Blake was working on a while ago to make it easy to toggle
which _might_ address this.  I'll let him chime in about whether it
would cover this use case.
> When I reply to a message in NNTP it is simple and there is (usually)
> just one recipient.
Definitely a cleaner and easier user experience.
> In my Thunderbird, the News "tree" sits at the bottom of the whole TB
> folder list. My email accounts start at the top with the most
> important one (my company) first - I have about 10 email accounts
> configured and I use the "All Folders" display (I never have got the
> hang of smart folders) - so News is a long way down and takes
> scrolling. It is not important in the same way as with, say, my
> company email.
>
> I access almost all the mailing lists I am subscribed to by News
> (thanks to gmane) and I turn off all mail sending in my mailman
> subscription panels. It just works :-)
I hear ya.  As I think I mentioned elsewhere in this thread, I'd like to
see Thunderbird get significantly better at automatically segragating
messages that one uses differently (as the Mailing List Manager Add-on
is starting to do today).

Dan