NNTP and thunderbird-related lists

Dan Mosedale dmose at mozillamessaging.com
Thu Jul 29 17:38:53 UTC 2010

  On 7/28/10 6:11 PM, Joshua Cranmer wrote:
>  On 07/28/2010 06:46 PM, Dan Mosedale wrote:
>> * When one subscribes to a mailing list in a desktop client
>> (including Thunderbird), there's no immediate context displaying the
>> conversations currently in progress.  A user needs to go find a web
>> archive of that mailing list in order to see existing relevant
>> conversations.  Newsgroups don't have this issue either.
> The problem, as I see it, is not so much that users lack context in
> conversations, it's that new users can't respond well to conversations
> in the recent past, since you can't easily get the messages threaded
> correctly.

Right, agreed that it's a pain to join a list and try to reply to a
discussion in progress.
> Expanding on this, mailing lists have a major workflow problem in the
> use case of a very passive reader. News clients support features like
> ignoring threads that the user doesn't want to follow, on one end. On
> the other end, I can temporarily subscribe to a newsgroup to interject
> in a relevant ongoing discussion and unsubscribe when that discussion
> is over--that is very difficult to do in a mailing list setup.

Agreed; more barrier-to-entry and barrier-to-exit pain.
> In either case, email tends to be set up as a more aggressive notifier
> of activity compared to newsgroup messages; at the very least, it is
> quite easy to control the relative aggressiveness of notification
> email versus newsgroups, while it is more complicated to control this
> between different categories of email.

This is a really good and relevant point.  I'd love to see Thunderbird
do something similar to what Raindrop does here and separate "bulk"
messages from "personal" or "high priority" messages, regardless of medium.

Dan