NNTP and thunderbird-related lists

Alan Lord (Gmail) alanslists at gmail.com
Thu Jul 29 07:39:01 UTC 2010

On 29/07/10 01:33, Dan Mosedale wrote:
> On 7/28/10 5:04 PM, Ben Bucksch wrote:
>> On 29.07.2010 00:46, Dan Mosedale wrote:
>>> * When one subscribes to a mailing list, the default behavior of most
>>> mailers (including Thunderbird) is to dump that subscription into
>>> their Inbox, which subsequently needs to be dealt with either by
>>> manually creating a filter, or by handling all messages in the Inbox.
>>
>> I simply like to have my mailbox to be "unread"-free. And "unread" in
>> my mailbox is a TODO item for me.
>> I don't like mailing lists, because they give me tons of "TODO"s :)
>> Newsgroups are entirely separate.
> Given what you're saying here, it sounds like you're agreeing that the
> default situation of messages ending up in your Inbox makes it harder
> for your working style, because it's more painful to try and keep the
> unread count of your Inbox at zero. Correct?

I think the key point for me with NNTP is the last sentence of Ben's:

"Newsgroups are entirely separate."

I agree with his general statement and I work in a similar way by the
sound of it; email is for stuff that needs dealing with fairly promptly.
News I can dip in and out of as when I have time or choose to do so.

I like the separation of email and News.

Al