NNTP and thunderbird-related lists

Robert Kaiser KaiRo at KaiRo.at
Thu Jul 29 15:18:55 UTC 2010

Ludovic Hirlimann schrieb:
>   On 29/07/10 02:33, Dan Mosedale wrote:
>> * newsgroups have lower barriers to entry and exit than mailing lists,
>> which is helpful since one often doesn't know how valuable a
>> subscription will be before subscribing?
>>
> Yes that's a very good reason, because when people are asked to give
> feedback to a mailing list and they aren't subscribed yet it makes it
> very difficult for them to reply to the thread (and a new thread gets
> created).

You mentioning "feedback" there reminds me that I still would find it
attractive to have newsgroups mirrored by a (threaded) web forum and
vice-versa - I think that would be a very interesting form of keeping
both those people like us who like the consistent in-client UI and those
who like the casualty of web forums in one consistent stream of discussing.

Robert Kaiser