NNTP and thunderbird-related lists

Ben Bucksch ben.bucksch at beonex.com
Thu Jul 29 12:17:33 UTC 2010

  On 29.07.2010 02:33, Dan Mosedale wrote:
> Given what you're saying here, it sounds like you're agreeing that the
> default situation of messages ending up in your Inbox makes it harder
> for your working style, because it's more painful to try and keep the
> unread count of your Inbox at zero.  Correct?

Yes.

> What's still not clear to me is whether having all mailing list
> messages filtered to another another folder works for you or not.
> Does it?

Not really. (I do that.) I still have them sitting as "unread" there,
and for some reason it does annoy me. Technically, that's not rational.
But they are part of my "inbox" now.

> If not, is that because the "unread" count & "unread" status of the
> folder also bubble up to the visible & audible representations of the
> account in the folder pane and dock?

Not really. I see the folder bold in the folder pane and with unread msg
status. (Which for most folders means I have to do something now.)

>> Newsgroups are also pull, not push. I can peek into a group at any
>> time, without having to be subscribed, and can see the whole history,
>> and read things in the comfort of Thunderbird (I do not feel web
>> archives to be reader friendly, for more than a few posts). I also
>> can reply easily there. I often don't know whether I am interested in
>> a group, or I want to participate only in one thread or only at
>> certain occasions and then ignore the group again.
> Would it be fair to summarize this reframing by saying:
>
> * newsgroups have lower barriers to entry and exit than mailing lists,
> which is helpful since one often doesn't know how valuable a
> subscription will be before subscribing?

No, not really. That's just one part of what I said above.

It's also when I know the group may be valuable, but only marginally and
sometimes. With a mailing list, it's all or nothing, always or never.
With a newsgroup, I fetch the messages and participate when I want
(which may be only when I feel like it, or once a month/week only
skimming over it, or only when I hear from third party sources that
there's an interesting discussion going on right now). With this pull
method, I am more in control.

> * (something about web archives)
>
> The reason I've put "something about web archives" here is because I'm
> unclear how the more general statement you've made applies to the
> specific cases we're talking about here.  Our primary archives for
> tb-planning and tb-enterprise are Google Groups.  Is it your feeling
> that they are insufficiently reader-friendly?

I find messages on the web reader-unfriendly in general. Websites are
too slow (1-3s per click), and I don't like that they force their UI on
me, the UI is usually cumbersome in comparison to TB. I don't like web
forums, facebook or mailing list archives. I want the stuff in
Thunderbird, with the Thunderbird 3pane UI (and the faster speed that
dedicated protocols have). I use Thunderbird instead of a web mailer out
of conviction, for speed, privacy, comfort, control.

Ben