NNTP and thunderbird-related lists

Dan Mosedale dmose at mozilla.org
Thu Jul 29 00:33:42 UTC 2010

  On 7/28/10 5:04 PM, Ben Bucksch wrote:
>  On 29.07.2010 00:46, Dan Mosedale wrote:
>> *  When one subscribes to a mailing list, the default behavior of
>> most mailers (including Thunderbird) is to dump that subscription
>> into their Inbox, which subsequently needs to be dealt with either by
>> manually creating a filter, or by handling all messages in the Inbox.
>
> I simply like to have my mailbox to be "unread"-free. And "unread" in
> my mailbox is a TODO item for me.
> I don't like mailing lists, because they give me tons of "TODO"s :)
> Newsgroups are entirely separate.
Given what you're saying here, it sounds like you're agreeing that the
default situation of messages ending up in your Inbox makes it harder
for your working style, because it's more painful to try and keep the
unread count of your Inbox at zero.  Correct?

What's still not clear to me is whether having all mailing list messages
filtered to another another folder works for you or not.  Does it?  If
not, is that because the "unread" count & "unread" status of the folder
also bubble up to the visible & audible representations of the account
in the folder pane and dock?
>> * When one subscribes to a mailing list in a desktop client
>> (including Thunderbird), there's no immediate context displaying the
>> conversations currently in progress.
> I'd like to re-frame this: Newsgroups are also pull, not push. I can
> peek into a group at any time, without having to be subscribed, and
> can see the whole history, and read things in the comfort of
> Thunderbird (I do not feel web archives to be reader friendly, for
> more than a few posts). I also can reply easily there. I often don't
> know whether I am interested in a group, or I want to participate only
> in one thread or only at certain occasions and then ignore the group
> again.
Would it be fair to summarize this reframing by saying:

* newsgroups have lower barriers to entry and exit than mailing lists,
which is helpful since one often doesn't know how valuable a
subscription will be before subscribing?

* (something about web archives)

The reason I've put "something about web archives" here is because I'm
unclear how the more general statement you've made applies to the
specific cases we're talking about here.  Our primary archives for
tb-planning and tb-enterprise are Google Groups.  Is it your feeling
that they are insufficiently reader-friendly?

Dan