NNTP and thunderbird-related lists

Ben Bucksch ben.bucksch at beonex.com
Thu Jul 29 00:04:51 UTC 2010

  On 29.07.2010 00:46, Dan Mosedale wrote:
> *  When one subscribes to a mailing list, the default behavior of most
> mailers (including Thunderbird) is to dump that subscription into
> their Inbox, which subsequently needs to be dealt with either by
> manually creating a filter, or by handling all messages in the Inbox.

I simply like to have my mailbox to be "unread"-free. And "unread" in my
mailbox is a TODO item for me.
I don't like mailing lists, because they give me tons of "TODO"s :)
Newsgroups are entirely separate.

> * When one subscribes to a mailing list in a desktop client (including
> Thunderbird), there's no immediate context displaying the
> conversations currently in progress.

I'd like to re-frame this: Newsgroups are also pull, not push. I can
peek into a group at any time, without having to be subscribed, and can
see the whole history, and read things in the comfort of Thunderbird (I
do not feel web archives to be reader friendly, for more than a few
posts). I also can reply easily there. I often don't know whether I am
interested in a group, or I want to participate only in one thread or
only at certain occasions and then ignore the group again.