NNTP and thunderbird-related lists

Dan Mosedale dmose at mozillamessaging.com
Wed Jul 28 22:46:25 UTC 2010

  In the last little while, we've created tb-planning and tb-enterprise,
two mailing list / google group pairs that don't have NNTP
counterparts.  While I talked some about the reasoning there at the
time, I didn't really go into enough depth.  I've gotten repeated
requests to explain in more detail, which I'd like to do now.  As part
of that, I'd like to start by making sure that I've heard and understood
why people were hoping that there would be NNTP access.

I did a quick review of the relevant conversations in tb-planning and
dev-apps-thunderbird that I could find using Google groups, I saw two
objections:

*  When one subscribes to a mailing list, the default behavior of most
mailers (including Thunderbird) is to dump that subscription into their
Inbox, which subsequently needs to be dealt with either by manually
creating a filter, or by handling all messages in the Inbox.  Newsgroups
do not have this issue.

* When one subscribes to a mailing list in a desktop client (including
Thunderbird), there's no immediate context displaying the conversations
currently in progress.  A user needs to go find a web archive of that
mailing list in order to see existing relevant conversations.
Newsgroups don't have this issue either.

If this isn't a good summary, or if there are other reasons folks wanted
to have NNTP access for those (and future Thunderbird lists) that I
haven't mentioned, please reply to this message with details.

After I've replied to any responses, I'll dig into the rationale tomorrow.

Dan