New Account Types and data equivalency (was post TB 3.1 mailnews backend plans)

Robert Kaiser KaiRo at KaiRo.at
Mon Jul 19 19:23:58 UTC 2010

Andrew Sutherland schrieb:
> On 07/18/2010 06:45 AM, Robert Kaiser wrote:
>> Do you mean that gloda is about to be changed from a pure index to
>> something that actually holds important data and is necessary for the
>> app to function properly?
>
> It depends on your definition of "important data" ;).

Anything that can't be recreated from other data we have stored. If we
start doing that, we break the assumption that was laid on gloda until
this day, esp. if it means that other things than search stop working
with gloda disabled. And I'm not a friend of that, as IMHO that would
mean us basically creating another equivalent of the Outlook .pst
format, which is the largest failure in any messaging app I ever saw and
one of the worst data formats I ever have heard of as it doesn't allow
separation of data belonging to different things.

Robert Kaiser