Thunderbird 3.next high-level plan

David Bienvenu bienvenu at davidbienvenu.org
Sun Jul 18 00:51:31 UTC 2010

  On 7/17/2010 4:23 PM, Ben Bucksch wrote:

>  On 17.07.2010 17:02, Kent James wrote:
>>  On 7/17/2010 1:44 AM, Ben Bucksch wrote:
>>> So, all the code (not just some changes) which is currently in trunk, when would that ship?
>
>> [c-c with Mozilla 2.0 vs. 1.9.2]
>
> Is it technically not feasible to have comm-central/trunk working with both mozilla 1.9.2 and mozilla-central? As I understand, we had this for a long time? It's no
> longer feasible or some other overriding reason?
Component registration has completely changed on mozilla central trunk, which would make it extremely un-fun to support both mozilla 1.9.2 and mozilla-central trunk with
the comm-central trunk. And I think there is a fair amount of other change going on on the mozilla central trunk (e.g., all gecko interfaces are now unfrozen) that is going
to make it harder and harder.

>> As I understand it, trunk would ship about one month after FF ships with the same backend. The best estimates of trunk shipping would be first quarter 2011.
>
> That is terribly late, though. A lot of the trunk code wouldn't be shipped for almost a year.
We've had worse :-) If FF ships sooner, we will try  to be in a position to ship TB off the trunk sooner as well.

- David