post TB 3.1 mailnews backend plans

David Bienvenu bienvenu at davidbienvenu.org
Sat Jul 17 22:44:06 UTC 2010

  On 7/16/2010 1:11 PM, Karsten Düsterloh wrote:
> WRT maildir: How do you plan to avoid the not so uncommon problem of too
> many files in a directory?
I think modern file systems are a lot better about this. I don't know if anything in the maildir standard handles breaking up large directories. If not, there's a trade-off
between following from the standard (and any pre-existing tools/code that knows how to deal with maildir) vs. supporting users with huge numbers of messages on older
systems, and I'd lean towards the former. Since the store is pluggable, users with that kind of setup may need to use a different store, or occasionally archive messages. I
suspect that's the case today.

- David