New Account Types and data equivalency (was post TB 3.1 mailnews backend plans)

David Bienvenu bienvenu at davidbienvenu.org
Sat Jul 17 22:35:16 UTC 2010

  On 7/16/2010 11:40 AM, Kent James wrote:

All good points...

> Looking even further ahead, one of the Big Ideas for Gigabird should be a robust way to combine together disparate data sources in useful ways. "Show me everything that
> idiot rkent said today so that I can rebut his ramblings everywhere" might be a sample use case. How will we accomplish this? We do it badly now, my address book usually
> has many entries for the same person.
The concept of identity should be handled by whatever we replace the address book with, e.g., a Contacts Manager. I agree it's important.

> It applies much further than simply contacts. Items have many different times, many different categories. Is a twitter # search field like #moz10 more like a tag, or more
> like a folder? For that matter, is a tag really any different than a folder?
A message can have multiple tags, but can only be in a single folder. I'm not sure it's possible to pretend that a folder is just a tag w/o that showing through to the user
in awkward ways (e.g., deleting a message from a gmail "tag" folder just removes the tag, instead of deleting the message).

> It would help to start if we would define the basic model of what we are. For example: "Mailnews provides an aggregate view of data that can be represented as individual
> items in a tree of categories (aka folders), with metadata for each item that includes at least a text summary (aka subject) and body (which could be the expansion of the
> link in a twitter message)." If we could define the basic underlying model of out items, and how they are extended and aggregated, we could go a long way toward defining
> the data model that Gigabird needs to succeed.

Agreed.  The concept of a conversation is also important, along with giving the user some sort of control over what's in a conversation.

- David