Thunderbird 3.next high-level plan

Kent James kent at caspia.com
Sat Jul 17 15:02:20 UTC 2010

  On 7/17/2010 1:44 AM, Ben Bucksch wrote:
> So, all the code (not just some changes) which is currently in trunk,
> when would that ship? And when is Miramar expected to ship?
As I understand it, trunk would ship about one month after FF ships with
the same backend. The best estimates of trunk shipping would be first
quarter 2011.

And that is the main issue. The TB team wants to be free to ship some
new features before then, and also keep "trunk" working with Mozilla
2.0  The compromise was to imagine a Tb 3.2 based on Mozilla 1.9.2, but
not try to maintain all of the trunk work on the 3.2 branch. The plan
only works if the drivers are fairly conservative as to what gets
backported to 3.2, as otherwise we end up with the nightmare of trying
to do development on 2 branches simultaneously. It also only works if
most of the new features are implemented through extensions, so that 3.2
really only needs the critical hooks that the extensions need.

It is not a ideal plan, but given the realities it is a good compromise.