Thunderbird 3.next high-level plan

Dan Mosedale dmose at mozillamessaging.com
Sat Jul 17 01:07:25 UTC 2010

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dmose/4789250396/in/set-72157624482878050/
has a redrawing of a picture we drew last week that we think represents
the basic plan for Miramar (Thunderbird 3.next -- I've shied away from
calling it 3.2 for now, because trunk is currently referring to itself
that way, but we want to base Miramar on 1.9.2).

The intent here is to continue to use trunk as our primary development
substrate, and backport high-value features and fixes that need a
release vehicle to Miramar.

Mark and I talked through a bunch of the details that aren't yet nailed
down, particularly around the faster testing releases and localization,
and he's planning to post something next week digging into what is and
isn't known about those parts so that they get sorted out sooner rather
than later.

In the interests of getting better at practicing some of the agile
pieces that we've been preaching lately, I'm going to talk about our
active feature work in a separate post, as some of it is likely to end
up in the 3.2 release vehicle, and some of it not, and we don't yet know
which.

Dan