post TB 3.1 mailnews backend plans

Karsten Düsterloh kd at tprac.de
Fri Jul 16 20:11:18 UTC 2010

David Bienvenu aber hob zu reden an und schrieb:
> I've written up some thoughts about some of the bigger things I'm
> thinking about for the backend post Thunderbird 3.1.  It's by no
> means exhaustive but I just wanted to write some things down before
> my memories from the summit fade into the mist. Comments welcome.
>
> https://wiki.mozilla.org/Thunderbird:Thunderbird_Post_3.1_BackendPlans

- Pluggable Mail Store

I really love to see this!

WRT maildir: How do you plan to avoid the not so uncommon problem of too
many files in a directory? Dependend upon operating system and file
system, a folder with 150,000 mails (like my bugzilla folder) may drag
slower systems to a halt when opening a message...

- Replacing Mork with Sqlite

Maybe Electrolysis-like process separation might be worth looking at.

Karsten
--
       Freiheit stirbt        |       Fsayannes SF&F-Bibliothek:
            Mit Sicherheit    |       http://fsayanne.tprac.de/