Moving Thunderbird towards libxul

Ben Bucksch ben.bucksch at beonex.com
Fri Jul 16 18:41:34 UTC 2010

  On 16.07.2010 14:54, Robert Kaiser wrote:
> Ben Bucksch schrieb:
>>
>>> Option 1 - Mailnews, mail as separate libraries
>>> Linking with the external API means we loose a lot of the string
>>> optimisations that we get from the internal API. e.g. nsAutoCString
>>> equates to nsCString in the external API, and so you won't get
>>> pre-allocated memory on the stack.
>>
>> The strings API is the main pain point when it comes to libxul, not just
>> for Thunderbird.
>>
>> Can we change the libxul API/ABI to include a sane string API that does
>> not lose performance and is comfortable to use?
>
> I doubt we can significantly change what libxul exports - that would
> need to be a platform change, and someone would first need to submit a
> patch there and get reviews. Nothing is impossible, but that would
> need to be done.

Obviously. I think this change for Thunderbird is big enough (with
enough work and later implications) to warrant this on TB and XULRunner
side.

Also, I think it would be a good platform change and XULRunner /should/
be perceptive, because the string API is *the* major problem for other
libxul users, too. At least it's the main reason why I avoided libxul in
my projects.

>>> Option 2 - Mailnews, mail included in libxul
>>
>> It seems to me that Option 2 is not really libxul, but rather
>> libthunderbird, and quite counter to the idea of libxul.
>
> Well, it's the same way Firefox appears to be going right now, so it's
> not counter what is going on there, and IMHO it's not counter to the
> idea of libxul - but it's counter to the idea of XULRunner and to
> libxul being a strict subset of XULRunner, you're right about that.

Well, if each libxul has different contents, it's not really "libxul"
anymore. It's "libthunderbird" and "libfirefox", as I said.

Also, I don't think Linux distros will appreciate it, they generally
assume same libname == same content (and I think anybody does, that's
the whole concept of names), and need to jump special hoops where this
is violated. Also, e.g. Ubuntu (and others) ships Firefox and
Thunderbird based on a common xulrunner package, if I saw it right. I
guess option 2 would make this harder, while option 1 would make it even
easier. Your other post says that means we need to support both options.
Wouldn't it be better to just improve option 1?