Moving Thunderbird towards libxul

Robert Kaiser KaiRo at KaiRo.at
Fri Jul 16 13:06:04 UTC 2010

Mark Banner schrieb:
> Over the last few weeks, I've been realising more and more that we need
> to move Thunderbird over to libxul as soon as possible. The most
> significant reason being is to reduce our maintenance costs whilst
> keeping up with core.
>
> I've put together some more detailed reasoning, with a couple of
> different methods with which we could build libxul, and the route that I
> propose we take:
>
> https://wiki.mozilla.org/Thunderbird/Backend/libxul
>
> As always, feedback and comments welcome.

For one thing, I think any way we can manage to build libxul-enabled is
good, we need to have it working yesterday (and for SeaMonkey even the
day before), and we might need to implement both options in some way,
even if only option 2) is officially supported for shipping for us,
Linux distros probably want to ship both Firefox and Thunderbird (and
potentially SeaMonkey) with a common xulrunner package as a base.

For the other, I think we will need to go down the same way in terms of
build support as Firefox does - officially and for packaging only
support libxul, but keep shared working for developers - the one thing
we can completely desupport is static.

Robert Kaiser