Moving Thunderbird towards libxul

Robert Kaiser KaiRo at KaiRo.at
Fri Jul 16 12:54:50 UTC 2010

Ben Bucksch schrieb:

>> Option 1 - Mailnews, mail as separate libraries
>> Linking with the external API means we loose a lot of the string
>> optimisations that we get from the internal API. e.g. nsAutoCString
>> equates to nsCString in the external API, and so you won't get
>> pre-allocated memory on the stack.
>
> The strings API is the main pain point when it comes to libxul, not just
> for Thunderbird.
>
> Can we change the libxul API/ABI to include a sane string API that does
> not lose performance and is comfortable to use?

I doubt we can significantly change what libxul exports - that would
need to be a platform change, and someone would first need to submit a
patch there and get reviews. Nothing is impossible, but that would need
to be done.

>> Option 2 - Mailnews, mail included in libxul
>
> It seems to me that Option 2 is not really libxul, but rather
> libthunderbird, and quite counter to the idea of libxul.

Well, it's the same way Firefox appears to be going right now, so it's
not counter what is going on there, and IMHO it's not counter to the
idea of libxul - but it's counter to the idea of XULRunner and to libxul
being a strict subset of XULRunner, you're right about that.

Robert Kaiser